The ancient town of Almora, before it’s establishment was under the possession of Katyuri king Baichaldeo. He donated major part of this land to a Gujrati Brahmin Sri Chand Tiwari. Later on when Chand kingdom was founded in Baramandal, the town of Almora was founded at this centrally located place in 1560 by Kalyan Chand. The mountain on which the Almora is located is described in the famous Hindu epic Manaskhand as follows Kaushiki Shalmali Madhyey Punyah Kashaya Parwatah’ ‘Tasy Paschim Bhagam Kshetra Vishnyo Pratishthtam’ In the days of the Chand Kings it was called Rajapur. The name ‘Rajpur’ is also mentioned over a number of ancient copper plates. The town of Almora is situated over a horse saddle shaped ridge of a mountain. The eastern portion of the ridge is known as Talifat and the western one is known as Selifat. The market is at the top of the ridge where these two, Talifat and Selifat jointly terminate.

Showing 20 from 38 Items

Count:
Sort by:
Order: